View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Strategies for beating the crazy LAGs - 25NL Party

Not all LAG's are created equal. I find there are also plenty of donk-LAG's who will raise nearly every hand pre-flop to .50 and then they will either check or make a weak continuation on a missed flop. Against them I will make reasonable reraises with premium hands pre-flop, and I will call with more suited connectors (or any two heads up with position).

Against the maniacs who raise big and follow up on the flop, I just gambool with them. I will go all in with any pair TT or better AJs,AQs,AQo,AKs,AKo. If I'm OOP I will limp-push with these hands. I simply don't feel that I am good enough (but is anybody?) to "outplay" a guy who will aggressively play any two cards. I'm not willing to play "guess what he has" for my stack-I would rather put him to a decision before the flop when I know I am either ahead, or at worst a coinflip with the crap he is likely to have.

One thing I have learned is if I am going to gambool it up (I never buy in short so I'm always risking at least 100BB) with these types is that I need to be patient. I want to watch this guy for a few orbits to figure out if he's an idiot or a winning LAG. I want to see what he raises with, how he bets, what he shows down, how he plays later streets, what he calls all-ins with, etc.

Sometimes I may slow down, say he raises into me and I have AA and it's heads up. I just call with the plan of getting the money in on any flop. Or sometimes I will open push with AA-I think it challenges their manhood. I had some donk LAG cold call with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] when I opened for $35 UGT with aces. I guess someone else raising "his" pot was too much for his testosterone to handle.