View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 05:11 AM

Default Re: One of the Basic Questions of Philosophy?

It is important to think you are right. At least I think so. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

It is not important to be right unless you have to suffer an unbearable amount due to this error. Two variables make this different for each person. The amount of suffering they are capable or willing to endure. The period of time they will suffer for this error must be long enough to be regretted.

Yes I understand the error can be fatal but if it is a quick death I feel it would not be deemed important by the person long enough to be called important by him. As long as the person does not know he is risking losing a large amount of time from his life or a unbearable amount of suffering could befall him while he makes the error it does not matter to him if he is right or wrong. This is why it is important to think you are right but not important to be right.

What should you give up to ensure you are right?

If you know an error will cause great discomfort for a long period of time or you could lose a large period of living time and you deem it important then you should give up just a fraction less than you could possibly bear to do.

It is much more important to be right when a error will effect others imo.