View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: How long do you play for?

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously this is a mental problem, and I'm convinced that I'm costing myself a lot of money in the long run by leaving so soon, especially when I'm up. So how long is a normal session for you guys? Would a good solution be to set a specific time frame for me to play in? Or could that become a negative? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only play for about an hour at a time (one table). You shouldn't care too much about how long you're at any particular table, because the games at the micros are so universally bad you should be able to beat all of them (table selection is overrated). If you are able to adjust to players, you stand to lose a little bit of extra EV because you don't get to use the information you gain by playing with a particular player for an extended period. But other than that, it doesn't matter so much what you do.

(Well... to get the whole story out there... if the other players adjust to you, but you don't adjust to them, they gain when you're at a table longer... but this situation is a bit rare at these stakes.)

It's said that poker is just "one long session." Play as long as you are able to play well. If you get distracted after an hour, then don't play for more than an hour at a time. If your schedule only permits 30 minute sessions, just play 30 minute sessions. Worrying about these things isn't going to make much of a difference in the long run.