View Single Post
Old 08-11-2003, 02:41 PM

Default Re: I am getting too many bad beats-- am I that bad.

In a loose game, I think your call was fine on 3rd street. In a semi-tight game, low straights are not worth playing except possibly when your two flush is totally live as well as your straight cards, there are several callers, and you are last to act--even then it's marginal.

On 4th street you are looking to catch perfect with a 7 or a flush card. When you saw the second seven out, and you didn't catch a third flush card, you should have folded.

On 5th street, you decided to slow play, however I think that was a mistake. One of your opponents had a possible straight with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], but three jacks were out at that point, so that actually wasn't much of a threat. The real threat looks like player 2's hand: he limped in on 3rd street, and when you decided to slow play, he had two spades showing, so he might have been calling with a pair and then made a four flush. You only want to slow play opponents who will make a second best hand when they catch their card.

Also, you don't want to slow play if betting won't cause anyone to fold. Would they have folded to a bet? If it was a loose game, then probably not, but that's your judgement call.

On 7th street, both your opponents got lucky. There's nothing you can do about that.

One last comment. Situation 1: You are Chris "Jesus" Ferguson(i.e a very good player) and you always play at a table full of beginners. Situation 2: You are Phil Helmuth Jr. and only play with other experts. Questions for you to consider:

1)Which player is going to get sucked out on the most?
2)Which player is going to win the most money?