View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Should You Quit Your Day Job? — Part I

I think everyone is missing 1 very important factor here. You are underestimating how dumb the average person is. Think about it, most people you run into are plain retarded. For every 1 new poker pro, I say there are at least 100 new poker newbies that decide to give it a try.

I know these people, I grew up in the middle of dumbf**k America. I watch these guys drop at least 500-1000 a piece. They all fool themselves how much they lose too. I have a buddy who started playing on party, after awhile I asked him how he was doing, he said he won a couple hundred so far. I knew he wasn't good, one day we we're over his house and he had party logged on so I looked at his history, it showed about 1000 in depo's with a single 200 withdrawl and maybe 100 in his account. The losers trick themselves into thinking they aren't as big of losers as they are. Ask them why they lose, 100 percent of them will tell you they keep taking bad beats. Then ask them their "Bad beat" story and you realize its just a case of them having unimproved aces that they limped and not being able to lay them down.

Go into any toy store and you will see texas hold em sets for kids, which can assure many new "customers" to come. The poker boom hasn't really hit Asia yet, that should attract just as big of a following as it did in the US.

I think our #1 worry as online pro's is the fear of good online "bots" being made/distributed. This, I feel, could destroy everything. I already hear talk of them, but I'm assuming they aren't bound to make a dent in the short term.

I love being a pro. I work 20 hours a week 4 days a week, if I need extra money then I'll grind out a tough 40 hr week. My only fear in quitting my job was getting health insurance, but it really isn't as much as you think if you are young/healthy and take on a policy with a deductible.

And with the person who is using the SNG's numbers as their basis. A large majority of us are not making our money primarily from the SNG's. I would say, complete conservative guess, for every 1 SNG "pro" there are 15 table "pro's".

I need this easy living to last just 2 more years until I finish getting my degree. After that, it can all come crumbling down for all I care. Hopefully the poker sites can make it easy to use credit cards again, that would really open up the fish flood gates [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]