View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: AQo - Correct application of WA/WB ?

[ QUOTE ]

So you want to raise and/or cap the flop, and then call down if he still keeps coming? Seems like the perfect way to win the least/lose the most.

Let's say we raise the flop, he 3-bets, we cap, then he leads the turn. What does he have that you're beating at that point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's back up and discuss one step at a time. First of all, we have no real reason to assume that villain has a strong enough hand to re-raise our flop raise anyway, but I think we have to put in a raise here to find out. (For value, but the information we get will be useful.)

Why do I think a flop raise is for value? What range do we put a "normal" player in the SB on for the 3-bet PF? I would say AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, AQ and possibly TT and AJ.

AA - 3
KK - 6
QQ - 3

JJ - 6
AK - 12
AQ - 9 (Split)

Excluding the possibility of some loose 3-bets with AJ and TT, there are twice as many hands villain plays like this which we are currently beating (or chopping) than which beat us. Clearly a value raise.

So, going straight into call down mode without sticking in a raise on the flop is pretty weak.

Now, if we get 3-bet on the flop we can probably narrow villains range to AA, KK, QQ, AQ, or possibly an overly aggressive AK. This changes things quite a bit, and makes me lean toward just calling a 3-bet rather than capping, but I think I will usually still cap to try and slow down my opponent. (The extra SB is well worth it if it gets me a free turn card.)

I guess if villain is still coming at us on 4th street, there is enough compelling evidence to say we are drawing to 2 outs at best. So, I will change my answer and fold the turn in that hypothetical case.

Regardless, I still maintain that you have to raise the flop and go from there.