View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: My failure as a poker pro (very long)

[ QUOTE ]
Like the previous poster said this is more a gambling addition story than a poker pro story. Could have been sports betting, craps, blackjack or any other of the multitude of gambling games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Multiply his numbers by 10 and it's pretty close to my stock market experience. I never quit my job or put myself at risk of not being able to pay my bills. I did however build up about 30K in credit card debt by chasing lost money with borrowed money. I took huge positions, and then made margin calls with cash advance checks, like 4-5K at a time. I thought if I could hold on long enough, the stocks I lost money on could come back.

Once I gave up, the credit card debt took about 3-4 years to pay off, and of course I racked up a lot of interest and fees above and beyond what I actually lost. I look at my old records and I can't believe I am the same person who did that. I certainly don't approach poker this way. Possibly the difference is that I never found any successful methods of trading, and if I had I would have concentrated on them systematically, the way I do now with poker.