Thread: RANDOM thoughts
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Crapola On Tap

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Unless you're a pro multi-tabling full time it maight take 10 years to get enough games under your belt to be able to say that you are a very good player. Yet virtually noone has played that long because internet SnG's haven't been around (or at least played by very many people) for long enough. So -- if you're not a full-time multi-tabler, you might never really know if you're any good. And, those pros you hear about all the time, have a fair chance of not being nearly as good as is generally accepted. Yet, people on the forum often take as gospel things put forward people because viewed as "long term winners."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the statistical equivalent...
Of constantly warning people...
That they could be hit by an asteroid in the next 10 minutes.

What would motivate someone to push this stuff?
Why does it make him feel better?

rm+

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that, couldnt have said it better myself.

Furthermore, do we play these games with our eyes shut and open them up to find out how we did at the end? There are theories about what works that are grounded in probability. If my friend designed a program and refused to tell me what it did then maybe id need 10 years multitabling to test it and be sure it worked. In the real world let me play 50 games and post tons of hands and Ill know exactly where I stand. Successful people in aggregate play tons of games and there is huge consensus on how to beat low buy in games. Not only is there consensus on correct plays argumentation can be provided for them. Is whether or not we have a mathematical edge based on theory and experienced advice, or have been lucky to all this time with incorrect plays that in aggregate would be equivalent in probability to winning the lottery supposed to be a serious question? This might sound like a rant but I think misusing statistics like this is a terrific way to cause an experianced player to doubt himself every time he takes an inevitable downswing, plus I think its illogical.