Thread: LAG play...
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: LAG play...

Harrington goes into this in detail in HoH 1. Basically, the biggest reason the books stress TAG play is that it's easier to play well than LAG play because you put yourself in fewer difficult situations.

HPFAP mentions in the intro the benefits of loose play, but basically says "We won't discuss the specifics of this approach because you're going to lose a bunch of money if you don't play extremely well." It also discusses why raising any two in shorthanded situations (whether a short game, or a hand in which everyone folds to LP) can be profitable if the blinds don't know what they're doing.

Generally, the more skilled you are postflop and the better you are at reading your opponents, the more hands you can play. There are some live games I play in where I will complete the SB with any two simply because if my 92o hits a flop of K95 I almost always can tell if it's good or not, even out of position. Similar comments apply to open-raising (or even isolation-raising) with substandard hands, especially in PL/NL games and especially in tournaments where you are risking large portions of your stack.

So yeah, there's plenty of evidence to support the playing style you say you have and I think most players come close to it if they are in the right kind of game (read: one with very weak opponents).