View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Help - Reading hole cards

I’ve been re-reading my poker bible lately, Super System. Lately I feel my game has gone down the toilet and have been working hard to figure out what my problem is. Reading through the no-limit section made me realize how much emphasis I’ve been putting on cards lately instead of trying to place players on cards and outplay them. I’ve always had a bit of difficulty with this. Reading Doyle’s words, he makes it seem so easy to do to put players on certain hole cards. Understandably, he’s been playing poker long before I was even born, and I don’t expect to be a master. Between the draw outs I’ve seen in the past few days and this sense of lacking in my game, I feel like I don’t even know how to play anymore. I’m not a weak player and feel like I’m in a downswing right now, which is fine, and I’ve taken a vacation from poker to sift through my books and the forums, as I said earlier.

Now that I’ve realized that this is hindering my game, I’ve been practicing by trying to call players hands while friends play online. I’m still fairly horrible at it. I’m asking a favor from the 2+2ers….can you give me any pointers for making this task possible? Are there better books to read on the subject? I’ve read the section in Sklansky’s TOP but found it to be quite short and more geared towards 7 card stud and other poker games. Any help is appreciated, and thanks for reading.