View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: I NEED A MENTOR.

Hi Teddy,

If you haven't already purchased Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker by King Yao, I suggest you get it and add it to your collection. It's probably nothing new that you probably don't already know but there were quite a few concepts and plays discussed in that book that has helped me move yet another level in playing limit hold'em.

Being great/excellent at poker doesn't mean that you have to be a mathematical genius. If so Sklanksy would be the best player. However, he lacks a lot of the intutive and instinctive play that is neccesary for the high level game and it's something that the greatest players have. This intuition and instinct can't be taught, but if you find a great coach I believe it can be brought out of its hiding cage provided you possess it.

I've always found the best way to learn through non-textbook material is through relaying and sharing information with other good players. It's been a tough feat for me to do because a lot of the regular good players I play with don't like talking about their hands or their opponents hands/plays. But the odd times I do get to talk about it off the table I do learn something new and I'm sure they do as well.

Anyways, good luck with finding a coach. I wish I had your stamina to play online.

Lawrence