Thread: RANDOM thoughts
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: RANDOM thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the hidden gem of insight that I get from this post is that.

People believe in strange unscientific things. Given the effects of "random" events in poker, other players can do and will continue to do stupid things.

I disagree with the opinion that results are meaningless.
One SNG is significant, and means more than 0 sng's. The more you play the more significant your results become.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're missing the real point of his post. The fact that poker often rewards mistakes and thus will encourage many players who don't understand this to make bad plays that good players can take advantage of is fairly well understood.

What isn't is to what extreme randomness-caused variance can play a role in what many people think is somewhat long-term. Unless you're a pro multi-tabling full time it maight take 10 years to get enough games under your belt to be able to say that you are a very good player. Yet virtually noone has played that long because internet SnG's haven't been around (or at least played by very many people) for long enough. So -- if you're not a full-time multi-tabler, you might never really know if you're any good. And, those pros you hear about all the time, have a fair chance of not being nearly as good as is generally accepted. Yet, people on the forum often take as gospel things put forward people because viewed as "long term winners."