View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Flopped straight -- decision

Party 10/1 Multi. 1723 Entrants. 110 players remaining. Avg. Chip Stack = ~ 17,000.

Hero has 19,500 chips.

Blinds are 500/1000
Hero in the BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

UTG Limps, folds to LAG in SB who calls, Hero checks.

Flop = 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

LAG bets 1,000, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn = 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

LAG bets 3,000, Hero raises to 6,000. UTG Insta-calls. LAG calls.

River = 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

LAG bets 1,000, Hero calls, UTG pushes for 8,000. LAG Folds, Hero Folds with ~ 11,000 in chips.

Crapfest. My read was that UTG had KJ, because he immediated called the turn raise. Or, he had a set and completed the boat on the river. Either way, I'm not doing well facing his push, which would put me virtually all-in.

I don't think the slow play on the flop was a grievous error. I was taking a chance -- if a J hits on the turn then a player holding a K beats me...but I don't mind taking that chance if I can score a big pot with a safe turn card and a LAG in front of me. I only wonder if I should have pushed on the safe turn card instead of min-raise. I expected the UTG to fold my turn raise, but he called almost immediately, which made me put him on a set or KJ.