View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: websense and 2+2 at work

[ QUOTE ]
anyone familiar with websense? will 2+2 be classified as a gambling site and flagged? My job is certainly more important than being able to browse here, but I would love to do both.

I think I am probably just totally out of luck, but wanted to ask the great brain trust here to make sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have WebSense here. forumserver.twoplustwo.com is categorized as "Games" for me, and www.twoplustwo.com is categorized as "Gambling". Both are filtered. To the people who suggested proxies: WebSense certainly categorizes, and blocks, these as well.

There are a few ways around it, depending on how tech savvy you are, and how your work's network is configured. At my last job (same WebSense situation), I actually configured a home Linux machine to connect/disconnect to my company's VPN on command (I controlled it from a web page). Once connected, I could SSH into my home machine, forwarding a local port (on my work machine) through the SSH tunnel to the Linux machine's Squid server. I left my IE alone, but installed FireFox to use the local forwarded port as its proxy. End result: I could browse using IE and everything looked kosher to the company, or I could fire up FireFox and have everything encrypted and go wherever I wanted, 100% WebSense free.

A simpler solution at my new job is to actually use Bloomberg to browse 2+2. I believe companies can restrict where the BB web browser can go, but my company doesn't. So I'm able to navigate my way to 2+2 through BB.. pretty cool.