View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Heartland Poker Tour Tourney and trip report (very very long)

[ QUOTE ]
And then there were 6:

7 handed, blinds 6k/12k + 500ante. I'm UTG with 77 and make it 35k. UTG+1 calls (185k stack), next player (very aggressive, pretty tight so far, 275k stack) makes it 100k, folded to me, I laugh and fold, UTG+1 calls. Flop: Txx, two hearts. UTG+1 goes all-in, UTG+2 quickly calls. UTG+1 flips AQ? UTG+2 flips QQ. No help and we're suddenly filling out forms and learning how to hold our cards for the cameras.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I was hoping everyone would fold and I could go heads up with you. I soon realized I'd be heads up with the old guy. I knew you both had a pair and didn't care because I was running sooo good throughout the tournament. I figure I'd spike an Ace and beat whomever I was up against and double up to a 1.85 Q.

Turns out I had too many outs...

Anyway, here's a review of my thoughts (I didn't keep a notebood like you did...)

Played the 4PM qualifying shift on Friday. Saw some midwest tournament regulars. First hour I received AK twice, AQ once, middle A's a few times--none of which connected. Down 2K. Moved to another table and the magic began. Had okay results with regular hands, but went all in seven times and made my draw every time. Down to eleven with nine coming back Sunday. I just do the origami and coast in.

On Sunday, I vote for 25 pay outs. Bunch of pussies vote for 40. Oh well.

We start playing at 9. At 9:05 a guy in EP goes all in! Let the games begin...I peek at

AA [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I get all my chips in before he finishes. I win heads up unimproved and double up quick.

A few hands later the guy behind me who had accumulated enough chips to be ahead of me raises. I have pocket 10's. I call. Flop is A1010 [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I bet 10k hoping for a reraise. He calls. I bet 30k on the turn, he calls. Hmmm, he isn't afraid. But obviously he isn't reraising to keep me from folding. Egggselent. I go all in on the river and he calls. I show quads. He shows

AKo [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

He is in bad shape and is soon out of the tourny.

Next victim. "Indian Joe" A regular tourney player. I've seen him around. Played NL at St. Croix with him once. Never played a tourney hand against him. Until now...

He is down to 11K and goes all in PF. Folds to me, I call.

He has 88 and I have AKo. Flop is 1010x. Turn 10. Looks like ol' Joe is going to double up on an impressive board. But NOOO! The river is a K .

OMG, I knocked Joe out!
He smiles in a rather bemused manner and just stares in the distance for about 2 minutes...

New table. Spike a 9 on the river to knock a young gun with two pair out. Spike a 10 or a K on the river (forgot which) to make two pair against an old rock on a straight draw.

Final table. Get a A8 against YOU with a A9 on a scary board. You bet hard all the way and I flat call and win with an 8 on the board. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

And then the magic ends. I had used up all my suckouts. The pair of Q's hold up against my AhQd. But it was a fun run.

And I agree, the tournament was well run. The TV table (which I had seen at Northern Lights) was totally as professional as what you see on the WPT. The scaffolding around it with all the cables, lights and cameras was impressive.

I left after collecting my $4245, so I'll have to see you guys on FSN in October...