Thread: G.A. self-test
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Re: G.A. self-test

I answered "Yes" to three, but I'm being lenient. With the "missing work or school", I have skipped a class once or twice to play in a small cash game with some friends, but I deemed the class to not be of importance that day. As a matter of fact, a lot of people in our circle have done that two or three times. But it has never been habitual, or affected our grades.

Coming back to win more after winning is not only natural to a poker player, it is correct (as long as your are a tight-aggressive player). Mike Caro makes mention in SS2 to the question "You were up $5,000 at one point, and now you're down to $1,200. Why didn't you quit when you were up $5,000?" The answer is, "Because I was up $5,000." You tend to play with a clearer head when you're winning. You're in that "zone", and you are making the correct reads, plays, laydown, and such. It's just easier to win more when you're winning already.

And finally, if you've played longer than expected. If a game is good, I mean, real good, it's hard to leave it. If Perry Perch, the local fish sits down with his three buddies Barry Bass, Timmy Trout, and Wally Walleye (all fish, if you haven't figured out), but you're approaching the four-hour limit you set on your session, you're going to be uneasy to get up from the table. If you've got nothing to do for the rest of the night, and nothing the next day, and you're thinking clearly, and making good decisions at the felt, why should you get up? It's like Christmas has come a little early this year! So, as Jingle Bells is running through your head, it (along with your common sense) sorta blocks out the notions of standing up and walking out.

There are other topics that I could tackle, like remorse being the same thing as the sting of a downswing, or even that G.A.'s definition of "gamble" refers mainly to -EV bets, and the intelligent poker player's definition of "gamble" almost always refers to +EV bets. But I'll end this essay right here. If you'd like me to continue with my spiel, PM me, or reply to this, and maybe I'll get it. I'm honestly thinking on hitting the hay, because it's 6:30 AM where I am.

Later everybody.

Rusty G.