View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 06:12 PM

Default River raise...............

My copy of the book is on order so I should have it soon. As for the hand, it seems simple enough. Though its played in a atypical and unorthodox fashion it does make sense. The only flaw in it that I see is on the river. Is this "weak" player paying off with just aces or kings here? I assume we all can agree it would take an absolute dolt to overcall here with his unimproved big pair. Therefore, an argument can be made that the eights full should have raised the river here since more than likely the weak player isnt improving and thus not calling. And while it might sound odd, if he improves, some weak players might just cold call the two river bets if they do make their aces/kings up. But if its positive that the weak player wont call two bets cold on the river if he improves (reasoning the "strong" player must be full) then a argument can be made for just calling instead and hoping for an overcall. This way you dont risk 2-1 if the Queen is full. But this still dosent sound right. IMO the "strong" player played on a world class level until the river, where he should have raised.

Mike Emery