Thread: General tells
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: General tells

Yes, there are tons of them! Let me first say find someway to either read Mike Caro's Book of Poker Tells, or see his movie (I think the other guy mentioned this also), it's a real quick and great read (I don't know why it doesn't out sell Harry Potter).

Ok, so here are some of my favorites.

Slamming Bets on the Table: this is found best if you aren't playing on a felt table. A player who is bluffing will often slam his bet down on the table. With clay chips it can be very loud and when you see/hear it it will be obvious.

Glancing at chips after the flop: Don't watch the flop, keep your eyes on your opponent because this is an easy one to miss. If the flop is good for your opponent they will quickly glance down at their chips, indicating they are thinking about betting. If you have a premium hand this may be a great place for a check raise.

Staring you down: this usually means they have a weak hand, and they are trying to intimidate you into calling.

Looking away: just the opposite of staring you down, this guy probably has a good hand.

Those four will go a long way, and try to think about different variations of these that might indicate strength or weakness. Remember don't watch the flop! And don't expect these to be correct 100% of the time.