View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Comments and Results

Thanks for everyone's comments.

preflop: I agree not 3 betting here is terrible. There's too much value out there for me not to do so. My biggest weakness preflop has always been situations like this, and I'm still working on fixing these problems. I had always taken the approach with a hand like JJ or TT or even QQ from the blinds in a multiway raised pot like this to flat call and see if I liked the flop before committing any more chips, but I realize now how wrong that thinking is. However, I still fall back into old bad habits.

Turn: My definition of a "fish" is one whose purpose is to make hands rather than win pots. The fish that I usually play with at the Borgata will do all kinds of crap on the flop but will hardly ever (if ever) make any type of raise on the turn without a very strong hand. That's why I chose to ignore his play on the flop and see what he did on the turn when faced with more pressure. His quick raise on the turn told me I had exactly two outs.

I understand that limit hold em is not about making huge laydowns but rather about making long term profitable call downs even though these calls are losers most of the time. But in this situation, by his body language, by my knowledge of the player, I was 100% sure I was beat. I think it would have been a mistake on my part to ignore all this and go completely by pot value and call down here.

Anyway, UTG + 1raised the turn, I mucked, and UTG called. The river was some blank. Check bet call. UTG + 1 shows 88.