View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Was this just a suckout or did I make a costly error here?

Your subject line suggests that you lost this hand, which may taint the responses you get.

To answer your immediate question, raising the flop would not have folded out any hand that could have sucked out on you on that river.

I can't decide how i feel about raising the flop. On the one hand, you are behind only to J8, and you have a lot of probably outs against that hand, so raise now for value. Plus, your opponents may not put you on the flush draw, so you may get more action if you hit your flush (although with an 8-high flush, that may be scary).

OTOH, by not raising now, you make it more likely that you'll get bet into on the turn, allowing you to raise for a double bet.

On the river, you're behind only to 77/99/TT, and you have CO trapped for another bet. I think you have a raise here, calling a 3-bet.

Edit2: You're also behind to T9/T7/T4. Yuck. Maybe this is a legitimate check/call. I still think CO's dead money might legitimize a raise.

Edit: i misread your position. I think you definitely have a raise after you check the river back to villain. He will now bet with a much wider range of hands. Bet/call saves you one bet though (though it's more likely to prevent the delicious overcall from CO).