View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Should You Quit Your Day Job? — Part I

As someone who's been playing semi pro for the last 2 years I can't wait in about a year or 2 to walk away from my job and give this poker thing a try. If I don't I will really regret it later in life when I'm old and gray wondering what would've been.

For me going pro has nothing to do with the money. I'm fairly confident with incentives like rakeback and bonuses included that I would make an 'ok' salary, not great income but good enough to live on. The most appealing aspect to me is that I will have more time to do what I want.

Like somone said earlier working 9-5 sucks anyway you cut it. I understand the status and comfort thing, I'm just tired of waking up early in the morning, grabbing a quick breakfast and then commuting to your work to deal with all the bs work politics. Then go eat some unhealthy lunch and wait till your watch clicks to 5 so you can leave and commute back home to be totally drained and have dinner and be too tired for anything else. Go to bed early only because you have wake up early again tomorrow to do the same thing. That's a dreary life. If you do enjoy your job then good for you but for most of the population that works a traditional job I hardly see this lifestyle as someone who chooses if it not for the money.

The pro lifestyle appeals to me because I don't have to wake up when my alarm clock goes off. I'll be hitting the gyms a lot more and be eating a much healthier diet. I have a confession to make, when I was younger my parents (like all parents) wanted me to be either a lawyer or doctor. All I wanted to become was a chef and wanted to go to a culinary institute. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] No more pizzas for lunch. The time that I don't spend commuting can be better used to go out and socialize. I will also have more time to do traveling.

I'm waiting a bit longer than most people to go pro because I want to have all my financial obigations out of the way before I make the jump. I could walk away from my job now and have enough money to last me many years but I'm still saving a little bit more. You never know what will happen in the future and poker may not be as profitable but by that time I will be fully prepared and have saved enough that money won't be an issue.