Thread: WHATEVER!
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: WHATEVER!

On the "the flush draw hand" Phil priced himself in after betting 125K on the flop and Lisandro only had 311K before the hand. With 74c looking at a 9c 6h kc flop, his str8 chances were remote, but the price was right after his semi-bluff

"the str8 hand" is a little more bothersome on the outset but makes sense if Phil thinks Lisandro caught the 10 and not the K (and Lisandro did just call Phils preflop 36K bet):

Phil has Qh Jd and sees a Ks 4s Td board, then takes a 60K stab at it. Lisandro with Qs Qd goes all in, forcing Phil to match another 378K at a 571K pot and knock Lisandro out. I'm guessing without any flush outs, he must think his Q and J give him the extra six outs to make the call (and justify giving up the chip lead)

Now what I don't understand is why so many people are taking comments out of context like his "tournaments are boring" or others' "he prefers the action at side tables to tournaments".

Do those of you parrotting these really, honestly think this applies to the final tables of tournaments --and especially HU- where the prize money differences are hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of dollars (571K vs 299K in this particular circuit event). Does Phil really average 135K/hr profit in his side games? (the HU with lisandor lasted over 2 hours).

I'm more inclided to believe those comments pertain to the monotony of the early stages/days of tournies, but I dont see how this can be applied to Lisando. If true, then WHY would he even bother to play the tournaments in the first place if he didnt care if he took down 1st or not?

The true reasons why Phil seemed nonplussed about his late action play are probably known only to Phil (WSOP points, tourney the next day, bad chinese food, who knows) -- but I find it hard to believe that he was either actually bored heads-up or was in fact raring to go make more money at the side tables at the time... Ok I digressed. The "str8 draw hand" was what made me post this in the first place