View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Can YOU get away from this hand?

It isn't "quite" a low-buyin tourney, it's a $150+12, so people tend to play reasonably. I play these frequently. This is the way my thought process went when the CO raised all-in:

1) I don't figure him for QQ or KK because he didn't reraise preflop. The problem with not reraising with these hands is what to do when an overcard comes on the flop, and this player appeared reasonably strong. AA might well cold-call in position preflop, to try to take the chips later, but often would reraise as well.

2) He is a tight player (.14 VPIP is quite tight considering that is through all the early rounds of the tourney when people are quite a bit looser) and he doesn't really have implied odds to coldcall with a small pair, but he might (remember, he doesn't know that anybody else is going to call after him). A medium pair, like 88, is a possibility though, figuring on a rag flop he can decide whether he can pick it up or not.

3) I can see him calling this with AQ (particularly suited) or AK. I don't think there are any other unpaired cards he would play here.

So I figure his raise all-in could be due to AA, (perhaps) KK, 88, TT or JJ (although these are rare), and "perhaps" a 99 if he figured my bet was a continuation bet. Or it could be due to an AQ or AK with a flush draw. If he does have an AA, KK, or 88, I have two outs plus a backdoor straight draw. But the other hands I am currently beating. I actually had a strong feeling he had AA, but I couldn't rely on that. So I called.

He turned over QQ, no Jack came, and I was out of the tourney.