View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Help an Old Man With Bad Eyesight Multi-table

[ QUOTE ]
Rick....I'm a nearly 51 year old woman with similar eyesight woes. Nearsighted since age 10, and now getting the middle age farsightedness to go with it. Currently I wear contacts and use the cheapie OTC magnifying reading glasses. The reading glasses are with my optometrists OK.....says as long as that works well for me, go ahead.

However, when I got my last exam and new lenses, the doctor suggested a pair taylored specifically for computer work. You will need to tell them exactly how far you sit from your monitor.....use a tape measure and check before you go for the exam......and they will optimize the correction for that distance. I love mine for playing.....and they still work fine for overall nearsighted correction.

Might be worth a shot to talk to you doctor, and see what he could fix you up with.

(It is nice to know I'm not the only...ummm..."older" person lurking around here. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm farsighted with a little astigmatism and wear extended wear contacts that correct the farsightedness but not the astigmatism (bifocal contacts must be taken out at night). Even with contacts or regular glasses I strain to read without extra help though so I've worn different strength drugstore readers around the house (on top of contacts) and keep an ultra slim pair in a case when I go out. For late at night reading I go as high as +2.5. When I clean my contacts once a week I wear readers over my regular thick glasses (glasses to correct farsightedness are thick) and really look silly but I stay in that night.

Last visit I got a script for computer work (to be worn in addition to contacts), which is a low power reader that corrects the astigmatism and has a little magnification (+1.25). I got some heavy duty ones for around the house and stylish rimless ones for going out because they seem to be neutral for distance but help a lot close up and middle distances (such as playing poker).

I'm a little unsure whether I'm a good candidate for laser but will look into it in a few years. I'd have no problem if laser corrected most problems but I still had to carry around a pair of slim readers.

~ Rick

PS 51 is older only on 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]