View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Getting lucky against a slow-player (or passive player)

Fatdave,

First off I want to make clear that I don’t agree with chat abuse or chat-teaching. For one I think it is rude and bad for the game plus it scares away the fish.
That said and not being result orientated I think the villain played the hand better than you.

Look at it this way:
He called your bet PF (maybe a trap, maybe to play safe and see if something hit)
He hits his Ace. I know that you did not put him on Ax so you bet into him on a draw, representing the Ace and maybe counting the K and Q as live overs.

He has to think he has the best hand; with top pair and top kicker. The only thing he could be worried about is trips, since it is unlikely you would raise 4xBB on A7 or A8.

Your bet on the flop committed almost half of your chips so had I been the villain I would have gone all in there since I don’t think you would have folded, but he wanted to make sure he got your chips and let you be the aggressor with the worst hand.

The Ace hits the turn and you go all in, he can only call and you suck out on the river.

To further my point let’s play this hand the other way around. You hold AK and by a supernatural reading ability or x-ray vision you 100% know your opponent has KQh. How would you play the hand?

Poker Odds Calculator from cardplyer.com

AK (71.5%) vs. KQh (28.5%) PF
AK(68.9%) vs. KQh (31/1%) Flop 7h 8h Ad
AK (81.8%) vs. KQh (18.2%) Turn Ac and that is when the chips went all in.

Hope you did well the rest of the way. Good Luck!