Thread: G.A. self-test
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Re: G.A. self-test

[ QUOTE ]
So if you celebrate a promotion by playing tennis, and have the urge to play tennis more often when you win, but you also snatch purses for gambling money and overdose on pain medication when you lose, you have a score of 2 on each test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmn. I meet lots of people every day, but I haven't quite met anyone who fits that profile.

I liked your first reply a lot, but now I'm worried that we're trapped in an argument based on contrived examples. That wasn't my intent. Maybe we can reach agreement by going back to the basic GA questions. About 40% of them gauge whether the respondent has an intense/obsessive hobby. About 60% of them gauge whether the respondent is committing financial suicide by gambling.

As you wisely pointed out, GA treats this all as totally fused into the same big problem, because of the belief that the more you gamble, the more you lose. That's true in games without skill, but not entirely true in poker. I think we agree on that.

So the point of my original post is that scores in the 4-8 range may include mostly yesses to the intense hobby questions. (i.e. not being able to sleep; staying longer than expected; missing school or work.)

So we agree that those "yes" answers are somewhat different than the suicide/crime answers. I'm suggesting that a good way to filter out these "perhaps non-deadly" yesses is to see what people say about their other hobbies. I'm assuming that your ardent tennis/poker player will say yes to some of the same things. That's all.