View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Punish the Limpers? Party $109 hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I much prefer the push if your hand is 94o than 75s. You're mainly banking on fold equity, so your cards are of little importance. However, with something like 75s that has a good chance to flop a monster or a strong draw, you have a lot to gain by looking at a flop. Pushing kills some of the value of this hand.

I think Sklansky wrote an article explaining this a month or two back.

Kings

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your line of thinking is correct, but I am not sure about this situation.

Basically, when looking at the EV of a push, you have to compare it to the EV of a check. CHecking here definitely has some value. Pushing most likely has some value as well.
Plays like this are very image dependent, and it is unlikely that you can pull it off twice in a session. So, if we knew we were going to have this opportunity quite frequently, we would be correct to check, b/c the relative value of the push is less [EV(push)-EV(check)].

BUT......

This situation is really favorable for a push (stack sizes, pot size, etc). We are soon to enter the point of the tournament where pwning limpers is a thing of the past. You just dont see many limpers past the 100/50 level. So, I think you are best served to just pick the higher of two EVs (push-check). My gut tells me it is a push, just b/c most good draws we would flop give us a similar EV to the current push (and they dont flop that often)