View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Re: I am the Donk. Fix me.

I much prefer to be in charge of a hand. The preflop decision can go either way; it doesn't make a huge difference if you complete or fold.

On the flop, you have eight outs to a huge hand in a 3-way unraised pot. Since your hand can take a lot of heat, and can stand a raise, bet out and see if anyone has something worth calling. A lot of the time, you'll take it down on the flop and the hand is over. The times you don't, you still have eight outs to a big hand.

If he smoothcalls the flop, the turn improves your hand. Now you may have as many as five more outs, giving you a total of thirteen winning outs on the river. What range of hands can a villain have after calling the flop? The flush draw is quite possible, and you don't want to take your foot off the pedal against someone drawing to the flush. Make him pay to hit his card against odds. He could also have a 6 or 5, in which case he'll fold to a turn bet most of the time. If he has a T or is slowplaying something, you still have eight outs to beat him, and if he calls to lay the trap again, you can hurt him big on the river if you hit.

On the river, you just hit a totally hidden trips. If he has a T, you have him crushed. If he has two pair, even worse for him. If you think he was on a flush draw, check/call to snap off a bluff; otherwise, bet 2/3-3/4 of the pot since you're beating more possible hands than you're losing to.

One other reason to play this aggressively is to help your other hands. You should be betting flops like this with a wide range of hands, from draws to sets to absolute nothing. Again, a lot of the time, this flop won't have hit anyone hard, and you can take it down. Since you're in the SB, you can represent hitting rag flops that limpers would have missed.

When I look at your advice to fold because of odds, it just boosts my reasoning for betting. If you take charge of the hand, you force people to fold better made hands and hands that are drawing very live against you because they're not getting proper odds. Little do they know that your made hand is four-high at the moment.