View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: When is the rake insurmountable?

I don't know at what level the rake cannot be beat, but I can tell you that $4 gets taken out of every 3/6 pot I play and I make money. The players rotate in and out all night long effectively paying the rake for you.

This reminds me of funny thing a couple weekends ago. It was Friday night and I had to get up for some reason or another Saturday morning so I had to leave the 4/8 game around 2am. There were lots of chips on the table and I hated to leave.

Saturday morning I did what I had to do and headed back to the cardroom. The same guys were still sitting there and I jumped back in the game. Something was very different about the table. Chip stacks were tiny. I asked if everyone quit last night and just came back. Nope. Been there all night.

I asked one of the guys where all the chips went and he pointed to the drop box. They all knew that if they continued playing each other, the rake would eventually eat all of them up. Or did they know that? Someone would go bust and buy another rack or two, sure, but the drop box is, was, and always will be the winner in any game.

But that DOES NOT mean you cannot make money at any level. Certainly not enough to raise a family, but plenty for extra spending money.

Onaflag............