View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: $25 NL PF steal, is this really dumb?

I don't agree with taking even medium risks to steal blinds. As you said you were stealing, I'd disagree whole-heartedly with this move. It's not at tournament..why risk it? Here's why: You do this to change your image and hope opps get fed up and call right when your big hand does come around. You do this with medium suited connectors because you win two ways..you represent the ace that hits on the flop as the opps expect you raised with an ace, or you get lucky and hit something sneaky and stack him. Raising two limpers with J6o is only going to leave you with one option: blind aggression. Your continuation bet getting called even 1/3 of the time after your raise must certainly be -EV compared to the little pots you accumulate only until they catch on. Don't think they won't make notes about your play and bust you with next time you see them at the table.

The main reason this is a huge mistake, in my book, is that you only can ride a tight image so long. You've got one or two shots a having any bet respected before they start getting suspicious. Why not wait and use one of your free passes in a $20+ pot when you can represent the nuts as opposed to wasting it on a few limps when you don't really know where you stand.

JobyWan