View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Low winrate? Painful downswings? Then dont .....................

A few thoughts:

A significant winner at a limit will make much more 4 tabling than 2 tabling, and it isn't close.

You can get specific player reads 4 tabling, but it takes longer. For me, I have to play a few pots with someone to get a read. I can't observe them playing hands with other players since my attention is at another table.

Playing too many tables does slow poker growth, and it encourages more automatic, ABC-type play. It is tough to really think through situations when you are playing three hands at once.

I disagree you have to play tighter when playing more tables. I've been an effective 30/20 player at 5/10 playing 6 tables.

I disagree most good players play 2 tables. The best players probably play 6-8 tables since it means so much more $$$ and they are good enough to beat the games for a lot even without great reads.

Playing more tables is more stressful, and your hourly swings (in terms of $ won/lost) will be much higher.

So, yeah, I agree and disagree. I think it boils down to what your motives are. If you're playing mostly for money, playing lots of tables makes sense. If you're playing for enjoyment or to improve, playing fewer tables makes sense.