View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Tax/Insurance problem - Too much $ to be a dependent

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the test you are talking about is the support test and the gross income test for dependency. Since you are under 24 and a full time student the gross income test does not apply. For support your parents need to supply 1/2 (plus 1 cent) of the total support for you to claim you as a dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the help. The "support test" is the big one here that's screwing over my dependent status. We've basically done our own caluclations in estimating what my annual living expenses are re: college and other costs. Using the number we have, I'm probably out of luck since I myself make more than half of that. I will most likely end up seeing a CPA to see if he can find some reasonable methods to adjust the total number for my living expenses.

I'm also going to contact my health insurance provider to ensure the support rule is also used to define their coverage of dependents. My hope is that being a full time student is the only qualification on this front instead of my dad's previous claims.