View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:01 AM

Default 1/2 Live hand against pretty tight/passive player

This past weekend at the Borg, I am on the button in a $1/$2 NL game and look down at 8h9h. 2 limpers in front of me, including villain, and the SB completes and BB checks. 5 to the flop of 886.

1st limper checks, villain bets $10, I raise to $20 and everyone folds except villain who calls.

Turn is a 2 of the 4th suit, so no flush possibility. Villain checks to me and I bet $20 into a ~$50 pot. Villain quickly calls.

He's been pretty tight, and not out of line that I've seen. There's only 2 hands I can put him on after the flop and turn bet. An overpair or an 8 probably with a better kicker than me because I can't see him calling with 83, 84, 85, but maybe 87. A8, K8, Q8 are probably more likely, as is AA-99.

Unfortunately, this type of thinking didn't take place until after the hand was over.

River was a blank, checked to me and I bet $20 again and he raised me all in for his last $35, so it was only $15 more to me so I had to call (I think)

I think I played this as well as I could, but just lost out to a better kicker. I figured if he was checking, he had a weak hand he was unsure of, which I suppose is the case with Q8, but most likely you have the best hand. His all-in told me he definately had an 8, but for $15 I had to find out.

Is there any street that I played this poorly on? Should I have just checked the river?