View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Low winrate? Painful downswings? Then dont .........................

After reading the thread about thinking of giving up limit holdem,
I guess the players with problems were playing more than 2 tables and maybe at limits multitabling without a sufficient bankroll.

This is how I was going to reply, then I thought put it in its own thread.

======================================

Try playing 2 tables 100% of the time. (not 3 tables 66% 2 tablings 34%)

Shorthanded poker is about playing the players as much as the cards.

Not just playing the players by looking at there GameTime stats, but actually spotting and noting what hands they play and how they certain play hands.

This is not possible more than 2 tabling. IMO

Im sure its possible to win 4 tabling, but the winrate is obviously lower and the swings and especially bad day swings are going to be alot higher.

Also the more tables you play the tighter you should play, less than 24 vpip at a 6 handed table, Im 23 2 tabling 6 handed, if I played 3 tables I would cut out some plays and most likely be around 20-21 vpip.
Im sure most players dont do this, they carry on playing 25-26 vpip which includes alot of marginal hands.

I would guess the best forum players who do play 4 tables and never whine about downswings, low winrates, do play real tight. The few that play looser, well they are the minority, and who knows, maybe they have been fortunate so far.

Sure theres a few experts who no doubt win at a decent rate 4 tabling, but theres a few people/players at most games who are better than the vast majority. They can do that little bit extra and still benefit whereas others who push themselves that little bit further end up being worse of.

Good players with a good understanding of 6 max poker play 2 tables and win well and most likely enjoy the game more.

I personally only ever play 2 tables and my aim is to get as good as possible 2 tabling then move up limits. Not increasing tables.

The game is far more enjoyable 2 tabling, 6 max poker is a strategy game not a formula game (4 tabling), and you have to work out how to beat the other players.

Also if more than 2 tabling you need more than a 600BB bankroll due to the higher swings.

I have a 1000 - 1500BB bankroll, therefore swings dont really bother me.

Im not rushing up limits, I want to enjoy my poker, not get pissed off losing 200BB at a limit I maybe shouldnt be at, thats why it hurts to lose, when you see a big chunk on your bankroll gone.

So basically I think its dont get greedy, dont try playing too many tables, dont rush up limits.