View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Lost my confidence. 2 hands

Hand 1:

The problem with this hand is the flop, since he just called an early position raise from the small blind, I think the chances of him having a medium pocket pair is pretty good. With three medium/low cards he could have his set already, and since there are no flush draw/high cards that might have hit you, I would feel pretty safe with that flop if I was in his seat with pocket 8's or 9's.

I think he would bet here to protect just a pocket pair, since he would be afraid of you getting an ace/king on the turn, so I think the good thing to do on the flop is just to just check behind. If you catch an ace and he still bets, fold, if he checks, check behind.

I would probably go into check/fold mode here, maybe call a small bet if I would catch an ace.

Side note: I think a proper continuation bet here would be maybe 1500-1600, unless you've been betting small with strong hands before, I would take this as a sign of weakness.

Hand 2:

You're not showing enough strength here either. The preflop minraise is not enough, 7-800 might be more reasonable.

When the flop comes, the only thing you should be afraid of is pocket aces or kings. With a good preflop bet you'd already have made him all-in or folded, but if you didn't before, here is where you bet the rest of his chips.

If he had the aces or kings, he will push preflop or after the flop, but with a short stack here, he could do it with any pair, AJ, maybe AT if he's loose enough.

With a bigger preflop bet, if he just calls, you pretty much have to get the rest of the chips in, if he does go all-in preflop, it will probably be a coinflip, so it's up to you.