View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Where does the money come from?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find it interesting when people "worry" about what others are spending/losing on poker. Do you worry if your neighbor or friend buys a new car, or tickets to the game, or golf lessons, etc.? They are all individual choices.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't disagree with most of your statement, but there is a real leap-of-logic in this last bit. in particular, in poker people hand their money to you and get nothing concrete out of it. now, i know that they can be construed to be "purchasing" entertainment. but the big, big difference is that gambling addiction is very common whereas addiction to purchasing sports tickets, for example, is extremely uncommon (as far as i know). that's the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, I don't know anyone personally with financial troubles from poker, but have known many people in debt up to their eyeballs on credit cards and loan payments for things they can't really afford. I'm not sure why that's much different - an addiction to buying things, much more common in my opinion. It just seems to be more accepted than gambling.

In any case, my point is I'm not qualified to "judge" people for spending money on a new Jaguar or some poker. Each is responsible for their own decisions.