Thread: Size this bet
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 01:15 AM

Default My reasons

Here's what I'm thinking.

I'm pretty sure he's suspicious of my hand. After so long of not playing I've come to life and played for all my chips agfain and again, but the only hand I've shown was AK.

I'm not folding this hand, so with that in mind, do I bet big, small or try and check-raise here? WHat am I afraid of? If I'm already behind, then so be it, I lose or I suck out, I'm not going ot worry about that, but If I'm ahead, what am I afraid of? If I bet big here, I probably only get called if I'm behind, but I eliminate a chance of getting sucked out on and pick up the 1500 in the pot. Not insignificant. If he has a T in his hand, I'm giving him a good price if I bet small, but I might suck a one pair hand into chasing that way and pick up a bigger pot.

That's the process I went through and decided to bet half the pot at 750. He raised to 1500 and I pushed. He had Q7.
He spiked a 7 on the turn and out I went. Be careful what you wish for. My original thought was that I got exactly what I wanted for an 11K pot that would have got me comfortably into the money. Winning the pot on the flop would have kept me alive, but still just average and looking for a spot like the one I just missed, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks betting big on the flop is a better idea.