View Single Post
Old 08-06-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: A8o against a SH (ex)-pro. What line do I take?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
He also knows that I rarely fastplay

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a tragic table image to have. Start fastplaying, it's so good.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
At this point, he probably thinks I have A8, a PP higher than 8, or a K, if that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]
If your raising range two off the button is this small, again you're in trouble. I'd put villain on any PP, a king, a range of 8s - almost all of which are worse than yours - or a strong ace-high like AQ or AJ with a backdoor flush draw.

Not taking this hand to showdown is a mistake, especially if villain gets tricky. I'm torn between calling down and raising the river. I don't like calling the flop 3-bet and raising the turn because you'd really like to see a showdown, and you aren't attacking a draw for semi-bluffing, you're seeing who has the best made hand. So if he 3-bets you on the turn you have a very tough decision to make against a tricky opponent. I prefer to reserve that situation for my opponents.

Once you 4-bet the flop I'd go for a free showdown after your turn bet unless you improve. I don't really like that play either because savvy opponents are willing to fold to this 4th bet when full of it, or he may peel and check/fold only with the worst hands in his range. But you can't be sure enough that if he continues after you 4-bet that he's better than you, so you still have to showdown with less favourable odds vs his potential handrange.