View Single Post
Old 08-06-2005, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Pump you Up (Pushups)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious about your results. My improvements were much faster than yours, you might be overtraining. That's not bragging, its constructive criticism. Over-training is a serious flaw in a lot of ppl's training.

[/ QUOTE ]

I welcome any advice you might have. I have been guilty of overtraining in the past.

I have lowered my total body workout since I started this pushup quest. I used to lift 3 times a week and do 45 min of cardio 5 days a week. This was my normal workout for over 2 years with brief periods of focusing on cardio if I was training for a race of some type.

I started with the pushups when I found out I would not have time to go to the gym for the next 3-4 months due to increased hours required at work.

So I am doing less than I used to, but it is all targeting the same muscle groups and I might not be giving them time to recover between workouts. I only do pushups, chinups, and pistols currently.

I am also trying to use very good form so my progress might seem slow to others but to me it seems fine. I don't pause during any of the reps. And I keep my back straight throughout. I put a roll of toilet paper under my chest and I don’t count it as a rep unless I touch it on the bottom of the rep.

I still do 3 days of cardio per week.