View Single Post
Old 08-06-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Push during first blind level with AQo -- is this a mistake?

So everybody seems to agree that folding AQ to the reraise is easily the correct move here, but I'm having a hard time letting this go. It's not because 60 chips are that hard to let go of, but it's because Villain has made the same play 3 times in the last orbit.

If I have AJ or worse this is an easy fold. If I have AK, this is (probably mistakenly) an easy push for me (given that the same guy has made the same play 3x in a row, representing a big hand each time, it's unlikely he always has aces or kings, and I'm happy to take a coinflip to demonstrate that I won't be pushed around so easily).

AQ seems like the crossover hand in my mind. I know it's a weak hand, but it's not *that* weak. Though the history can't say whether or not he has a monster, what if he had done this the last 6 raises? Would you still fold AQ? If you're going to fold AQ, would you also fold AK here? Do you just wait until you have aces or kings and he makes this move, or until the level is higher and more aggressive play is justified, or wait for somebody else to look him up and note what he shows down?

I'm seriously looking for advice on how to deal with this situation: at a SnG table, blinds low relative to your stack, one player is very aggressive: you haven't seen a hand, but he is reraising preflop more often than you would expect a person to be dealt a monster. You are dealt a reasonably strong hand (AQ or JJ, say). You bet, he reraises, you ...

Thanks in advance for your futher input. I appreciate it.

-cj