View Single Post
Old 08-01-2003, 09:50 AM

Default Interesting option

Curtains thanks for the response,

You present an interesting option: calling.

Obviously calling is usually not desired in NL tourney play. But because of the size of the blinds and our stack size - it may be a viable play.

1) Everyone is going to immediately think,"Huh?" Does he have AA? 44? KJ?
If someone raises, BB almost assuredly drops with me having limped. I would then fold and the BB and I would both be all-in with exactly the size of the blinds. It would be totally different if either of us had T10 more than the blinds. But all-in-all I might never be faced with that situation again - 4 handed, two players all-in with the exact size of the blinds.
But if the BB called the raise -- I would call? hmmm - then
A) If the raiser sweeps the pot, I take 3rd because I started out with more chips than the BB.
B) However, if BB wins the main or the side, and I win nothing, I'm out.

2) I think the most likely scenario is neither the Big Stack nor the button would raise because they're confused by my limp and they don't want to give ammunition to the BB (who might call) or me . When one of us win, we're still not in great shape. But if the big stack or button raises and one of us win - that's a ticket to 2nd place.

So now I've limped, the big stack and the button fold - what the heck would the BB do with T150 left? Who knows? raise? check? bet the flop? check call the flop? fold the flop?
I wouldn't be putting the BB to any test however..he's got a free ride in his BB.

The other consideration is: At this point I should also be playing for 2nd place in the tourney.

Therefore, I think it's raise or fold. I'm leaning towards folding because the big stack will often raise if I fold.

Regards,
Jamie