View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Call this river raise?

[ QUOTE ]
Unless MP is trying to drive you out, figuring his second-best hand is better than the caller's, it would appear that you're beat.

You'd think with any second-best hand he's trying to isolate with now that he believes will hold up versus EP's hand, he would have bet the flop. Plus, I don't really see river isolation checkraises all that often.

A worse two-pair doesn't seem very likely. So unless he's checkraise-bluffing, hoping for two folds, with a hand like Q9 or an unlikely 44, it would appear you're beat.

That said, I have a hard time laying down top two to a raise from nowhere and might have paid off.

But 98 is a really good guess here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya. Welll what I really did is said "***, he has 98. Call. Oh, I was right. 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Well. Glad I paid to see that."

Against an unknown I'm making this call every time. But against this guy I should've folded. These adages are good, but I think it's important to realize when they really don't apply.

I have a bad habit of calling because somebody 'could' be bluffing. What I need to ask myself is "is there a 1/11 chance that they're bluffing?". In this situation, I think the answer was a clear No.