View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: The art of value calling river raises!

Right. And that doctrine (call large pots on the river for one bet) was running through my head at the time.

But then I thought about it. That offsuit 7 really wasn't that scary looking. It was a scare card for me, but it wasn't one that really invited bluffing.

It was unlikely that he would bet the flop because 1) The weak player is always calling 1, usually folding for 2, 2) I would only call if I had odds, and 3) I would raise him fairly liberally. So quite likely he ends up HU, and likely raised. Even if we both call, it's a 0EV bet, so it's only good for the unlikely possibility of a free card. I don't have hundreds of hands on the guy, but I could certainly see him not betting this flop with a straight draw.

On the river, a total bluff-raise doesn't make any sense, because weak player is calling no matter what. So he either has me beat, OR he has something that he thinks has a very good chance of beating weak player's hand at least.

I could go on, but I don't see him ending up at this river, having a hand that fits that category, and trying for a bluff-raise 1 time in 11. Far from it.