View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Risking my stack preflop on level 1 with mediocre hand

$215 tournament. Third hand of the torunament, one player has busted out but the players remaning in this hand all have stacks of 1000. Blinds are 10/15.

I have no reads on the players yet.

4 players limp to me in late position and i find 99. I consider just limping in hoping to flop trips, but decide that a decent sized raise should get me the pot (which i dont mind) or get me heads up agianst what is probably a lower pair or two overcards.

I raise to 125 - app 8*bb.

To my dislike the button calls. Now the two first limpers fold, but the third limper goes all-in!

WHAT???

I just couldnt belive he had a big pair. I would never limp after two limpers with a high pair. I thought maybe AK who was hoping for a raise behind him so that he could go all - in or maybe 22-TT who for some reason didnt put me on a high pair.

What about mr. button then? I was worried about him. He could have a very high pair, hoping to trap me if everybody folded to my raise, or he could have AK, AQ or maybe a lower pair.

What to do? I decided to call.

What would have been my best move? Flame away.

Results in white below.

<font color="white"> I grid me teeth and call. Button calls. Early raiser turns over AK and button turns over AQ. Early raiser wins with a straight. </font>