View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Strengthening the mind, need advice

[ QUOTE ]
So lately I've been trying to read Nietzsche or maybe The Memory Book or even Sklansky on Poker (Razz section). It seems everytime I pick up the book to read 15 minutes later (max) I am sleeping.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a degree in physics and math (high boredom tolerance), but both Nietzsche and Sklansky on Razz make me fall asleep too. Go figure. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe try to get involved with the subject matter at hand. Ask yourself 'why' often while reading something, and don't stop thinking until you find a good answer and that little Party Poker 'congratulations' thing goes off in your head.

Also when reading a difficult subject matter, pick a topic (say an EV calculation or a particularly hard concept), read it until you think you understand it, then close the book and recreate the entire thing from first principles out of your own memory and logic. I used to do this with tough problems in physics/math, it's a great way to truly understand the subject matter, challenge yourself and stay entertained.