View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 12:52 AM

Default A problem I have with Atheism

Hi guys, this is my first post in Science, Math, and Philosophy and it seems like a very good forum.

The title of this thread is a little misleading, since there are various degrees of beliefs among atheists, from weak to strong, about a deity(ies) and an afterlife.

There are alot of arguments from rationalists against religion, specifically regarding the burden of proof and a concept like faith.

One of the things I have heard many athiests say is that when you are dead you are dead, there is no afterlife, you cease to be etc.

I have always found this illogical, if anyone can enlighten me I'd be very attentive, but here's an example:

5 people: (feel free to add details yourself, they are not added here because devising a judgement for humanity's actions is far beyond us and would likely be larger than all the Tax Legislations of the world combined)

1 person who is nice to everyone.
1 person who is nice to no-one.
1 person who is nice to some people.
1 person who is neither nice or mean.
1 person who is a child rapist and cannibal.

If there is no afterlife, then all these people meet the same end, and to me that is illogical.

If your actions in life are totally insignificant then nothing is 'wrong' and nothing is 'right'.

Cheers,
SDM