Thread: My 2 years
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: My 2 years

you got luck to have run well and shouldn't be advising people to do the same. the opposite can happen too. I took a shot at 30/60 over the last 2 days and dropped 100 bets in 1000 hands. those things can happen. you are lucky to have run well to start. it doesn't mean everyone should do what you did. it took me a lot of time to build up $6000 at 10/20 only to lose it in 1000 hands at 30/60. it sucks.

the thing about poker is it takes over and it wraps itself around our egos. when we run good we think we're the best and when we run bad we suck and should just give up. when we take a shot and get lucky, everyone should take a shot. when we lose people should be conservative. when it comes down to it, you're on a high and are making recommentations made on a sample of 1, which is you getting lucky. bk made a post about this a while back asking why low limit players haven't moved up. kurosh made a post saying how easy shorthanded games are and how he'll never play full again AFTER ONE SESSION. I have run good at 10/20 6m and tell people that the game is easy. of course it's easy when you're running hot. people are strange like that.

the rest of your post is inspiring and nice, but odn't give advice based on you getting lucky. losing a nice chunk of your roll is devastating, especially if you're taking a shot at a game,w here you have little or no edge.

now also consider you've played 40k hands. at that game that's gotta have a SD of like 20 or 22, so you're looking at a SD of 1 over your sample. it's extremely volatile. so as good as you've run, you can run just as bad.