Default Re: Life and Death

Since no one responded ill rewrite it
August 5th, 2005

LISA GARCIA
UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSIONS
U.C.L.A.

LETTER OF APPEAL

Dear Mrs. Garcia :
I write this letter to explain the chain of events that lead to the late transfer of my Calculus II class record. Please reevaluate my (re) admission in view of the following.
As soon I received the conditional admission to U.C.L.A. I inquired at Santa Monica College with regard to the Calculus II class.
I was informed that Santa Monica College gives priority to its own students for general eligibility as well as class registration over students of other colleges. Once I became eligible for the Calculus II class at Santa Monica College (shortly before June 20th), I was asked to arrange the transfer of my AP Calculus I record (by the CollegeBoard, the AP organization) to prove my eligibility for Calculus II. The time frame was such that I could potentially miss a week and maybe more out of a class of six weeks. A counselor also assured me that Calculus II be it from Santa Monica College or any other junior college is acceptable. It made sense therefore to enroll in the Calculus II class at Moorpark College that began July 5th. I completed the class with the letter grade A (and not the minimum B required).
Please note that I have made every possible effort to fulfill my contractual obligations including 69 U.C. transferable units (the contractual obligation being 60) with 70 being the maximum transferable units allowed. I have no classes left to take for an entire year. I believe that my record indicates that I have the potential to do well (and better) at U.C.L.A. and if given the opportunity I have every intention of doing so.
Ironically my admission essay was about missed opportunities. The example I used was Biff Loman, one of the protagonists in Arthur Miller’s “death of a Salesman” in which Biff loses his University admission and scholarship because he misses his summer math class. I hope not to become a contemporary Biff Loman.