View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: The real difference in the 2 party\'s economic policy

To answer all of those questions might take the longest post ever in 2+2 forum, but I’ll try to be succinct. The first two questions are really the same question asked different ways. Primarily the historical position of the Democratic party has been to increase taxes on the upper income brackets and reduce or leave flat the middle and lower brackets. This would be more advantageous for the average person. It also tends in budgetary matters to be far more generous to social programs such as education and welfare than the Republican party. In terms of broad economic policy, the policy followed by the last three Republican adminstrations has been dominated by supply side economics. Basically, if you cut taxes on the wealthy and businesses, they will provide more jobs. The majority of economists believe, and the evidence of the last 25 years shows, that this is less simulative to the economy than a demand side push (creating jobs through government programs etc). Which policy is better for ‘blue collar’ workers is largely based on opinion. Given the results of the Reagan tax cuts, and most recently Bush II programs, I would say that the average American, regardless of his profession was better off during the Clinton years than he is today, or was 25 years ago. As to the final question, that would be up to each individual voter. There are an infinite number of issues out there (economic, social, political, international etc), and each voter has to decide which are most important to him. There are single issue voters in both political camps. The evangelical Christian is unlikely to ever vote for a Pro-Choice candidate, regardless of their stance on anything else (Watch the OH governors race next year for this one). There are Steel or Auto union members that will vote for the most pro-labor candidate, almost always a Democrat. There are many today who feel national security is the most important factor, and vote accordingly. Given the current state of the economy and the national Debt, my attention in the 2006 cycle is definitely going to be on the economic positions of the candidates.