View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: RESULT

[ QUOTE ]
I am confident in my own intelligence

[/ QUOTE ]

Translateion: I am arrogant and too proud to admit that I could be wrong.

You have made a series of assumptions concerning the reason/s why I posted, they are all wrong. Yet rather than consider this you refuse to accept the possibility of error at all and attempt to inculcate the forum with your vacuous accusations.

[ QUOTE ]
It was nothing of the sort.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOTHING? Overstatement is the refuge of weak argument. This was a hand reading exercise, period. I explained very clearly that my opponent was "unknown" and I gave the relevant facts that were available to me at the time. You choose to think of this as a "disguise", an argument you have utterly failed to substantiate - everything you have said is based a priori on incorrect assumptions.

That the large majority of responders chose to assume an unknown is half-decent (I accept this is not unreasonable, but it is far from complete) in no way invalidates the exercise. It does make it harder. You also did not see this, and you feel "cheated". Diddums, go fetch your rattle.

[ QUOTE ]
Earlier, Meep 42 wrote: "It's a thinly veiled bad beat post."

[/ QUOTE ]

Meep responded to me by saying

[ QUOTE ]
I was joking... thusly the :P in my post.

[/ QUOTE ]

A fact which presumably you feel you can safely ignore, but which completely negates your argument.

Perhaps my thread title was a bit misleading, in the UK this is called being "tongue-in-cheek" (hence the exclamation mark after "hand reading exercise!"). I am beginning to understand that quite a few forum users seem unable to cope with this more abstract humour and require everything homogenised and spoon fed in the most obvious and standardised way. Much like their food.

<sigh>

I chose this hand as it was merely the most extreme example from my days play. Again perhaps my mistake, I had no idea people were so sensitive to AA-cracked hands. I was under the impression people were familiar with stripsqueeze's original threads in the HUSH forum? Most of those posts were almost unfathomable, many were bad beats, they were for fun and making them "easy" to read would have spoilt that fun.

Everyone enjoyed them because it was so damn hard to fathom the logic of these guys. I doubt strip would have posted this hand - not because it was AA getting cracked - but because it is not too hard to see the possibility of 74 in opponents hand. Most weeks no-one got the hand right, in fact I think it was at least 80% of weeks with no correct answer.

For this hand, people guessed just about every other combination, one or two almost got there. And that was what I was looking for - how many people would consider this "unknown" player a chook and allow him to have the hand he did.

Of course, if I had known I would be flamed by some arrogant little twerp for daring to post an AA beat, I would have perhaps chosen another situation. On the other hand, one of the considerations I had when I posting was to gauge reaction (perhaps this is all a little too subtle for you?). Nevertheless, it is nice to see who the maggots are when they come crawling out of the wordwork... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]